Little Women is a foundational novel for American literature. Telling the tale of four sisters growing up in New England during the American Civil War, the story weaves through themes of love, charity, class, work, marriage, sisterhood, and what it means to make a living as an artist. Over a hundred years later, Alcott’s words and characters continue to live through the minds of generations readers through continuous reprintings and adaptations.
Although not a first edition, this book is a lovely early printing of Little Women from its original publisher, Roberts Brothers. It contains both Parts I and II of the story in a single volume.
- Title: Little Women; or Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: Parts I and II
- Author: Louisa May Alcott
- Publisher: Roberts Brothers
- Place: Boston
- Year: 1892
- Length: 532pp
- Dimensions: 5” x 7” x 1.25”
- Condition: Hardcover. Original binding—brown cloth-covered boards with black engraved titles and gilt detailing. Has general shelfwear, scuffing and fraying. The binding has loosened somewhat. Page 15/16 has separated out entirely but the rest of the text is intact. Pages are clean yet tanned. No folds. Some small tears and pencil marks. Gold patterned endpapers.