“As authors may be supposed to know better than any one else what they intended to do when writing a book, I beg leave to say that there is no moral to this story. Rose is not designed for a model girl: and the Sequel was simply written in fulfillment of a promise; hoping to afford some amusement, and perhaps here and there is a helpful hint, to other roses getting ready to bloom.” (from the Preface)
Rose in Bloom was originally published by the Roberts Brothers of Boston in 1876. It rejoins the story of Rose Campbell as she comes of age in Boston society and embarks upon the marriage mart.
- Title: Rose in Bloom: A Sequel to “Eight Cousins”
- Author: Louisa May Alcott
- Publisher: Roberts Brothers
- Place: Boston
- Year: 1891
- Length: 375pp
- Format: 8vo
- Dimensions: 5” x 7” x 1.25
- Condition: Original brown cloth publisher's binding, gilt ornamentation on the spine. Some shelfwear. Flowery printed endpapers. Binding tight. Pages clean. No missing pages. No folds, tears, or extraneous marks. Black and white illustrated plates throughout.