Published a century after the initial completion and publication of John James Audubon’s The Birds of America, this facsimile edition contains 500 full color lithographic prints of Audubon’s illustrations. 435 of these prints are scaled down versions of those produced in the original “Elephant Folio.” The final 65 prints were painted after the publication of the initial folio and are thus an addition. The descriptive text and introduction are courtesy of William Vogt.
- Title: The Birds of America
- Illustrator: John James Audubon
- Text and Introduction by William Vogt
- Publisher: Macmillan Company
- Place: New York
- Year: 1937
- Length: 500 plates
- Dimensions: 25” x 12.75” x 2”
- Condition: Green buckram binding with gilt stamp and title on front cover and spine. Cover has some edgewear and discoloration from light exposure in addition to a light amount of soiling. Binding tight. No missing page. Pages clean with some tanning. No folds or marks. Book worm damage along the edges of some of the latter plates centered around Plate 498.